Refer A Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Pou Arataki - Director Māori
- Newly created opportunity to influence change and impact the lives of others
- Provide advice directly to the Chief Executive and the Ministry
- Wellington CBD waterfront location – Queens Wharf
This new role provides the opportunity to work closely with the SLT team and set the direction to improve outcomes for Māori across New Zealand.
He kupu mō mātou Te Manatū Waka
Te Manatū Waka, Ministry of Transport, is the system leader for the transport sector whether it’s on land, at sea, in the air, or connecting Aotearoa to the world. We are the government’s principal adviser on transport policy, regulation, and investment.
At Te Manatū Waka, we pride ourselves on being a small, agile, and friendly Ministry, which maintains a culture that is collaborative, bold, and invested.
Ngā whakamārama mō te tūnga
The Pou Arataki Director Māori role is a new position that provides an opportunity to really make it your own. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about enhancing the lives of New Zealanders and specifically the lives of Māori.
You will report to the Chief Executive and work closely with the Senior Leadership Team providing advice on topics pertaining to Te Ao and Tikanga Māori. Primarily your focus will be leading the Ministry’s Hei Arataki strategy to improve transport outcomes for Māori and build the Ministry’s capability. This includes:
- Providing advice and guidance for building strong and enduring relationships and supporting engagement with iwi leaders, tangata whenua and Public Service organisations and leaders
- Leading the Ministry’s Kaitohutohu Matua – Hei Arataki and managing their work programme and outcomes
- Developing relationships with other Māori leaders in Crown transport agencies and across Government to inform our initiatives and share knowledge
- Growing the Ministry’s capability and capacity to accurately reflect Te Ao Māori views in our mahi
Te wāhi ki a koe
- Previous leadership experience with a deep understanding of Te Reo, Tikanga and Matauranga Māori
- Ability to develop Te Ao Māori competency and capability in others
- Demonstrated experience working with Iwi, Whanau, Hapu and Māori communities
- Confidence to navigate and walk between Te Ao Māori and Te Ao Pakeha, drawing the two together towards cohesion and a level of comfort
- The knowledge of the machinery of government
Te wāhi ki a mātou
We’re a small, friendly agency, which allows people to influence in their chosen fields. In our diverse and inclusive environment, our people grow their agile mindset, learn, evolve, and utilise their skills, while being empowered to make decisions.
We offer everyone who works for us a supportive and flexible work environment, individual development plans, a range of health and wellbeing benefits and a welcoming employee network.
Working part time (4 days a week) will be considered.
The salary range for this position is $184,779 - $246,372. The salary offered will be based on skills and experience.
Me pēhea te tono mai
Please submit your application online including a cover letter and CV.
You will find a copy of the Position Description, our Hei Arataki strategy and Hei Waka Maianga strategy attached or online at www.transport.govt.nz.
Applications close midnight, Wednesday 28 September 2022.
Mo ngā whakamārama atu i ēnei, ki te hiahia rānei koe ki te kōrero ki tētahi tēna whakapā mai ki a Rebecca Bakker i firstname.lastname@example.org mā runga wāea rānei 022 014 5419.
We encourage applications from people from all backgrounds and aim to have a Ministry that represents the wider Aotearoa that we serve. We champion diversity, inclusion and wellbeing and aim to create a workplace where everyone feels valued and a sense of belonging. A background in government is not required for this role.
You must have the right to live and work in New Zealand to apply for this role.