Refer to a Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Senior Adviser, Economics
- Are you curious about how transport can shape the future of New Zealand?
- Enjoy interesting, varied and challenging work!
- Excellent Waterfront CBD Wellington location
Do you have an economics background, with the necessary skills and experience to provide insights and understanding on how the transport system influences, and is influenced by, other areas such as the economy, the environment and wider society?
As the government’s system lead on transport, the Ministry has an important role to ensure transport improves wellbeing and liveability for New Zealanders. Key to this by providing robust evidence and insights that allow us to understand how the transport system is, and can, meet its desired outcomes.
About the role
We are looking for a Senior Adviser with an Economics background to join us in a full time role, within our Domain Strategy, Economics and Evaluation (DSEE) team. The role will cover:-
- Undertaking and managing economic analysis, appraisal and assessment and evaluation,
- Undertaking complex policy analysis, leading development of innovative, practical and durable policy options (including through engagement with stakeholders), and providing authoritative policy advice often in areas that are complex and sensitive
- Undertaking and reviewing research proposals and reports to ensure quality and continuity of research and development in the field of transport economics, appraisal, evaluation and related fields
- Providing quality technical support to the policy teams in undertaking research, analysis and evaluation
The work the team covers is wide ranging, some current examples include:
- Assisting development and assessment of the Transport Emission Action Plans and providing advice on their economic and environmental impacts
- Economic effects of Drone related policies and proposed regulation
- Developing and/ or implementing new appraisal and assessment methodologies to, ensure better consideration of social and equity related issues relating to transport investment
- Advising on possible transport projects and their economic impacts
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in economics, with an appropriate degree and level of experience in project/ programme management. You will have an understanding and ability to develop strategy/ policy and translate this into action, along with excellent communication, interpersonal and relationship skills and be able to interact with all levels of the business.
We are open to how the role may be filled either as a secondment, fixed term contract – or happy to discuss other possible routes. The role is based at the Ministry’s Wellington office.
The salary band for this role is $93,956 to $125,643.
The Ministry of Transport is a small, friendly agency, with a wide influence, where you’ll be close to the action, and have plenty of opportunity to contribute and develop. You must have the right to live and work in New Zealand to apply for these roles
You must have the right to live and work in New Zealand to apply for these roles at the Ministry of Transport.
To apply please submit your CV and cover letter before Wednesday 30th September.