Refer A Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
- Are you curious about how transport can shape the future of New Zealand?
- Enjoy interesting, varied and challenging work!
- Excellent Waterfront CBD Wellington location
Do you have an economics background, with the necessary skills and experience to provide insights and understanding on how the transport system influences, and is influenced by, other areas such as the economy, the environment and wider society?
The Ministry of Transport is the Government’s lead adviser on transport policy. We are a small but agile Ministry – which is perfect if you are after a chance to shine!
The Ministry has an important role to ensure transport improves wellbeing and liveability for New Zealanders. Key to this by providing robust evidence and insights that allow us to understand how the transport system is, and can, meet its desired outcomes.
About the role
We are looking for a Senior Economist to join us in a full time role, within our Domain Strategy, Economics and Evaluation (DSEE) team. The role will cover:-
- Undertaking and managing economic analysis, cost benefit analysis, appraisal and assessment and evaluation,
- Undertaking complex policy analysis, leading development of innovative, practical and durable policy options (including through engagement with stakeholders), and providing authoritative policy advice often in areas that are complex and sensitive
- Undertaking and reviewing research proposals and reports to ensure quality and continuity of research and development in the field of transport economics, appraisal, evaluation and related fields
- Providing quality technical support to the policy teams in undertaking research, analysis and evaluation
The work the team covers is wide ranging, some current examples include:
- Assisting development and assessment of the transport part of the Emission Reduction Plan and providing advice on their economic and environmental impacts
- Developing and/ or implementing new appraisal and assessment methodologies to, ensure better consideration of social and equity related issues relating to transport investment
- Advising on possible transport projects and their economic impacts
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in economics, with an appropriate degree and level of experience in project/ programme management. You will an understanding and ability to develop strategy/ policy and translate this into action, along with excellent communication, interpersonal and relationship skills and be able to interact with all levels of the business.
You will join us with solid background experience in problem-solving complex issues, assessing options and advising on a direction. You’ll be someone who can take all the information on an issue, analyse its facets, and decide on a direction.
What we offer
There’s a lot of opportunity here. We’re a small, friendly agency, working in a fast-paced environment on significant programmes of work.
You will be expected to take ownership of your role and will be well supported not only within the team but across the Ministry.
We pride ourselves on maintaining a work culture that is inclusive, collaborative, bold and invested. Our waterfront offices further enhances the Ministry’s working environment. We are flexible by default and can offer work arrangements which embrace a healthy work/life balance.
The salary range for this role is $93,956 to $125,643 per annum, based on your experience. The successful candidate will be appointed at a salary which reflects their individual skills and experience.
How to apply
To read more about the role please download and review the position description and for specific queries, contact Sandy Fong, Acting Manager Domain Strategy, Economics & Evaluation on +64 22 010 2241.
We welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds, including Māori, Pacific and those with disabilities, who will enrich our understanding of the transport system.
You must have the right to live and work in New Zealand to apply for these roles
To apply please submit your CV and cover letter before Sunday 27th June 2021.